Tawa pulao! Whenever we hear this name, we get reminded of the famous street food of Mumbai. The combination of rice and vegetables with spices and pav-bhaji masala lures us to have it as soon as possible!
As the name suggests, this pulao, unlike others, can be cooked on a flat pan such as Tawa — the one you use for making Indian bread or roti.
The street-side vendors usually use a big tawa. However, in case of the unavailability of Tawa, you can use a wok or a Kadai in the same way.
Making the Tawa pulao recipe is effortless. You can use either leftover rice or freshly cooked rice. You can adjust the spiciness of Tawa pulao according to your taste.
You can relish Tawa pulao best with any side dish, raita, yogurt, salad, and pickle.
Let's see this step-by-step guide to making Tawa pulao at home.
Ingredients you need to make spicy tawa pulao
- Leftover/cooked rice
- Cumin seeds
- Turmeric powder
- Sliced onions
- Red chilli and garlic paste
- Chopped capsicum
- Chopped tomatoes
- Chopped carrots
- Shredded cabbage
- Chopped beans
- Salt to taste
- Pav bhaji masala
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Lemon juice
Instructions to make spicy Tawa pulao:
- Take a pan or tawa and add oil/ghee to it. Let the oil heat up.
- Now, add cumin seeds and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add sliced onions and sauté until it becomes golden brown.
- Now add turmeric powder and mix it well with the onion.
- Add garlic-chilli paste and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes and sliced capsicum. Stir them well.
- Now, add peas, chopped beans, and chopped carrots. Mix the vegetables well. Let it cook for a few minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Now, add the shredded cabbage to the vegetables and sauté well.
- Now, add leftover or freshly cooked rice to the mix. Add pav bhaji masala and salt to taste. Mix everything well until the spices coat the rice evenly.
- Add lemon juice and coriander leaves and mix everything well.
- Your spicy Tawa pulao is ready to serve!
Note: If you want to make spicy Tawa pulao with freshly cooked rice, follow the instructions listed below:
- Rinse the rice well. Soak it for about 20 to 30 minutes. Drain the excess water and keep it aside.
- Take a deep pan and add water to it. Bring the water to a boil. Add the drained rice to the water and keep stirring for a few seconds.
- Cover the lid, and cook the rice until it’s fluffy and tender.
- Drain the excess water and let the rice cool at room temperature.
- Once cooled, follow the method discussed earlier to make spicy Tawa pulao.
So follow the instructions shared earlier and make a delicious Tawa pulao recipe at home! Then, enjoy it for lunch or dinner.