Aromatic and delicious medley of vegetables, spices, and rice.
PREP TIME: 40-50 Minutes
- 1.5 cups Jashn basmati rice, rinsed and soaked for 30 minutes
- ½ to ¾ cup cauliflower florets
- ¼ cup Carrots, chopped
- ½ - ¾ cup Potatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup green peas
- ¼ cup French beans
- ¼ cup capsicum, chopped
- ¼ cup sliced baby corn
- Note: You can add vegetables of your choice
- 1 tsp caraway seeds or cumin seeds
- 5-6 black pepper seeds
- 1 Indian bay leaf
- 4 cloves
- 3-4 green cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 piece of mace
- 1 star anise
- 1 piece of stone flower
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander (for garnishing)
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 3 tbsp ghee or oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sized tomato, chopped
- 1 to 1.5 inches ginger
- 4 to 5 small to medium garlic cloves
- 1 to 2 green chillies
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves or cilantro
- 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves – optional
- ¼ tsp lemon juice – optional
- 2.5 to 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- Salt as required
- Wash rice a few times. Soak them in water for 30 minutes. Drain the water and keep them aside.
- Rinse, peel, and chop the vegetables.
- Crush chopped ginger, green chillies, and garlic to a paste using mortar and pestle or use a grinder to make a smooth paste.
- Take a deep pan (preferably thick-bottomed) and heat ghee or oil. Add all the whole spices as listed above. Fry until they splutter.
- Add chopped onions and sauté on a low to medium flame till they turn golden brown. Then add the ginger-garlic-chili paste and saute for a few seconds till their aroma vanishes.
- Add tomatoes and saute for 2 to 3 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- Once tomatoes are done, add all the chopped veggies, saute for 1 to 2 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- Finally, add rice and saute for 1 to 2 minutes on a low to medium. Mix gently and ensure the rice gets well coated with the oil.
- Add water and some lemon juice. Mix and stir. Sprinkle salt and stir again.
Cover tightly with a lid and let the rice cook on a low flame so that the water is absorbed.
Keep checking in between a few times to ensure the water is enough. You can use a fork and gently stir the rice. You may need to add less or more water depending on the quality of rice.
When the rice is cooked and turned fluffy, let it stand for 5 minutes.
Garnish with chopped coriander or mint leaves. You can also top it with fried onions or fried cashews.
Mix veg pulao is ready to serve. It pairs perfectly with raita or curry.