Veg tehari (also tahri or tehri) is a one-pot yellow rice dish in Awadhi cuisine. This aromatic recipe is prepared using rice, vegetables, and spices.
It's an easy rice recipe as every ingredient is cooked in a single pot. The method of preparing tehari resembles the pulao recipe, but its technique is slightly different. It uses the dum cooking process that makes it somewhat different from the pulao recipe. The technique and its taste are also different from the veg pulao.
Its taste is somewhat between the pulao and veg biryani.
As far as the vegetable combination is concerned, you can use any vegetables like aloo gobi, potatoes and peas or just potatoes.
Vegetable tahari makes a perfect brunch during the weekend or a hearty dinner on any given day. You can enjoy it with plain yogurt or raita for a delicious, desi touch.
Veg Tehri Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Cuisine: North Indian, Awadhi, Uttar Pradesh
Vegetables required for Veg Tahari
- 200 -210 grams cauliflower (2 cups chopped cauliflower florets)
- 200 -210 grams of potatoes (2 large potatoes or 1 cup diced potatoes)
- 50 grams of French beans (12 to 14 chopped French beans)
- 115 grams carrots (2 medium sized/½ cup chopped carrots)
- ½ cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 155 grams tomatoes or 3 medium-sized chopped tomatoes
- 175 grams onions or 3 medium-sized sliced onions
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 3 green chilies (slit)
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 5 cups Jashn basmati rice (300 grams basmati rice)
- 1 teaspoon kewra water/rose water (optional)
- 3 cups water
- Salt as required
- 1 tej patta (Indian bay leaf)
- 4 To 5 cloves
- 2 black cardamoms
- 4 green cardamoms
- 2 sticks each of 1 Inch cinnamon
Preparation for veg tehari recipe
- Rinse half cups of basmati rice. Rinse it thoroughly until the water runs clear. After that, soak the rice for thirty minutes.
- After soaking for thirty minutes, drain the extra water and keep the rice aside.
- Rinse the cauliflower florets and soak them or blanch them in hot water for 15-20 minutes. Remember, this step is optional, but using this step will help you get rid of worms and insects, if any.
- Once the cauliflower is blanched, drain the water and set it aside.
- Now, chop the rest of the veggies and set them aside.
Making Veg tehari recipe
- Take a deep-bottomed pan or pot and heat 3 tbsp ghee.
- Add 1 tej patta, 2 black cardamoms, 4 green cardamoms, 4-5 cloves, and 2 cinnamon sticks. If ghee is not your choice, you can also use sunflower oil or mustard oil.
- Once the whole spices turn aromatic, add 1 cup of sliced onions and sauté until golden brown.
- Now add 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste. Sauté for a few seconds until the raw ginger-garlic fragrance disappears.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and sauté for a few minutes till it becomes mushy.
- Next, add diced potatoes and sauté them on low to medium heat for a few minutes.
- Now add half cup chopped carrots, half cup fresh/frozen peas, 1/3 cup chopped French beans, and blanched cauliflower.
- Combine the veggies with the rest of the ingredients well.
- Now add 3 tbsp coriander leaves, 1tbsp mint leaves, 3 slit green chilies, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder, and half tsp turmeric powder.
- Stir all the ingredients well and add half tbsp lemon juice.
- Now, add the rice and mix it well. Sauté for about a minute.
Cooking the tehari
- Add three cups of water to the veggies and rice mix. For added flavor, you can add 1 tbsp kewra or rose water.
- Season with salt and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook the tehari on low heat till the water is absorbed, and rice grains become fluffy.
- It will take about twenty minutes to cook. It depends on the pan's volume, flame intensity, and rice quality.
- Once done, let the rice rest for about five minutes. Now, fluff the rice using a fork and serve hot with plain curd or raita!
When making tahari, consider these tips for easy cooking.
- You can adjust the spiciness. It depends on you whether you want to make the tehari extra spicy, mild, or simple.