A luscious and aromatic rice dish packed with warm spices and toasted nuts.
PREP TIME: 45-50 Minutes
For Kashmiri Pulao
- 1.5 cup Jashn basmati rice
- 3 to 4 tbsp Ghee or cooking oil
- 1 inch long cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
- 1-2 leaves of Indian bay leaf (tej patta)
- 4 cloves
- 2.67 to 4 green cardamoms
- 1.33 to 2.67 black cardamoms
- 0.5 tsp dry ginger powder (ground ginger)
- 1.5 tsp fennel powder (ground fennel)
- A pinch of saffron strands
- 2.5 to 3 cups water or as required
- Salt as required
For Garnishing Pulao
- 2.5 tbsp Ghee or cooking oil
- 1 medium-sized thinly sliced
- 14 to 16 cashews
- 14 to 16 almonds
- 14 to 16 walnuts
Preparing Kashmiri Pulao
- Rinse Jashn basmati rice a few times until the water is clear. Soak for 20 to 30 minutes. Then drain the rice and keep them aside.
- Take a deep pan and heat oil or ghee on a low to medium flame.
- Add the spices- caraway seeds, cinnamon stick, cloves, bay leaf, green cardamoms and black cardamoms. Fry them for a few seconds.
- Once they start to crackle and the oil becomes fragrant, lower the heat or switch it off.
- Now add fennel powder and dry ginger powder and fennel powder. Mix well but do not burn them.
- Add the soaked basmati rice and mix gently. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the saffron strands (crushed or whole). Mix and sauté again.
- Add water and salt as required. Stir and mix well. Cover the pan tightly and turn the heat to medium-low setting and wait for the rice grain to become soft, fluffy, and tender.
- In a frying pan heat 2 tbsp ghee or oil and add the sliced onions.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt and sauté the onions till they turn golden or crisp.
- Once done, remove them from the pan and place on a tissue paper.
- In the same pan, add the almonds. Fry them until they become crispy. Once done, remove them from the flame, keep them on a separate tissue paper and set aside.
- Now add the cashews and fry until they turn crunchy and light brown. Place them on a tissue paper.
- Repeat the process with walnuts and place them on a tissue paper.
- Check the rice and ensure all the water has been absorbed. Once done, fluff the rice gently using a fork.
- Garnish the rice with fried nuts and caramelized onions.
- Kashmiri pulao is ready to be served. Enjoy the dish with raita, dal tadka, vegetable curry or any other curry of your choice.