The goodness of chana or chickpea is known to all. This staple, combined with the basmati rice, creates a palatable one-pot meal!
We call it chana pulao — one of the easiest recipes cooked in a single pot. It takes just a few minutes to prepare this protein-laden traditional pulao infused with the wholesomeness of Indian spices.
One dish, many names. Some people call it chickpea pulao, while others call it Kabuli chana pulao, pilaf, or chickpea rice.
What makes this Indian pulao interesting is that you can relish it with yogurt, achaar, papad, raita, or any side curry of your choice. Nutritious, delicious, and flavorful, this pulao can be enjoyed either on the weekend or any day of the week.
You can make it in a pressure cooker, an instant pot, or a regular pot. People who are always on the run or have limited time for cooking find it really easy to prepare at home.
Let’s see how you can make chana pulao at home in the easiest way possible.
Ingredients you need:
- 2 tablespoon ghee/oil
- 3/4 cup white chickpeas/chole/safed chana/Kabuli chana
- 1 cup Jashn basmati rice
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- 1 thinly sliced onion
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- Garam masala
- Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon or lime juice
- Saffron strands (optional)
- 1 tsp curd (in case lime juice is not available)
- 1.75 cups of water
- Few chopped mint leaves/coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 black cardamom
- ½ tsp caraway seeds or black cumin seeds
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 tej patta or Indian bay leaf
- 2 thin strands of mace or javitri
- Cinnamon stick (1 inch)
- 2-3 cloves
Ingredients for the green paste
- 1 chopped green chilli
- Chopped ginger
- 3 to 4 garlic – chopped
- Chopped coriander leaves (3 tbsp)
- Chopped mint leaves (1 tbsp)
A step-by-step guide to making chana pulao at home:
- First thing first, rinse white chickpeas well and soak overnight. Drain and keep aside.
- Add drained chickpeas to a pressure cooker, then add enough water and 1/2 tsp of salt. Pressure cook until chickpeas is tender. (Do not overcook it.)
- Once done, drain the chickpeas and set them aside.
- Rinse the basmati rice until the water runs clear.
- Soak the rice for about 30 minutes in enough water. Drain and keep aside.
Making green paste
- Add all the ingredients of green paste to a grinder. Add 1 tablespoon of water and grind them to make a paste. Keep aside.
Making Chana Pulao
- Take a pressure cooker and heat ghee/oil in it. Add caraway seeds, mace, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, and bay leaves.
- Sauté the whole spices until they turn fragrant. After that, add sliced onions and sauté till golden brown.
- Now, add the prepared green paste to the onion and sauté for a few minutes.
- Now, add the chopped tomatoes and sauté until tender.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala powder. Mix well and sauté for a minute.
- Add basmati rice and mix everything well.
- Add the chickpeas with curd or lemon juice.
- Add saffron (optional) and salt to taste, and again mix it well.
- Add 1.75 cups of water and pressure cook it for 2-3 whistles.
- Once done, let the pressure release on its own. After that, open the lid and fluff the rice.
- Garnish with coriander leaves/mint leaves and serve hot with your choice of side dish.
Keep visiting Jashn Foods for delicious recipes and tips.